top of page


10 Common Architect questions answered

1. What is the difference between an Architectural Designer, CAD Designer, Draughtsman and an Architect?


Anyone can say that they are an architectural designer, CAD Designer or a draughtsman as it is not an official title, therefore you have no knowledge that the person is qualified or has the required experience and skills to design your property.   The title "Architect" under The Architect´s Act 1997, can only be used by persons registered with the Architect’s Registration Board (ARB), which is an industry body protecting the interests of the public.  In order to register they must demonstrate that they have sufficient experience to design and deliver projects and this process takes a minimum of 7 years to complete.


You can check if someone is registered on the Architect register at


bottom of page